Late Wednesday morning, workers at Netflix’s main office on Vine Street in Hollywood staged a walkout to protest the jokes against the transgender community in Dave chappellethe latest comedy special from The closest, and how Netflix handled the controversy. Co-CEO of Netflix Ted sarandos is under fire from Trans employees and activists for inaction to protect Trans employees and the community by not providing a platform for hate speech and offensive content that results in the perpetuation of violence against trans people and the LBGTQ community .
A copy of the letter delivered to Sarandos reads as follows:
Over the past few weeks, it has become clear that there are plenty of places Netflix has yet to grow when it comes to trans-related and non-binary community content. The Trans * Employee Resource Group, which includes trans and non-binary colleagues as well as our many allies, wants Netflix to immediately take the steps below to start rebuilding the relationship between the company, our colleagues and our audience. Specifically, we want the company to take action in the areas of content investment, employee relations, and safety and harm reduction, all of which are necessary to prevent future cases of transphobia. and hate speech on platforms, and to reflect the damage we have caused. and will continue to chat until the measures below are in place.
- Create a new fund to specifically develop trans and non-binary talent
○ This fund should support both above the line (ATL) and below the line (BTL) talent;
○ This fund must exist in addition to the existing Creative Equity Fund;
- Increase investment in trans and non-binary content on Netflix comparable to our total investment in transphobic content, including marketing and promotion;
- Invest in multiple trans creators to create scripted and unscripted programs across all genres;
- Review internal processes for ordering and distributing potentially harmful (“sensitive”) content, including, but not limited to, involving parties within the affected community who may speak of potential harm, or consultant to third party experts / suppliers;
- Increase ERG’s role in conversations around potentially harmful content and ensure we have top-notch regional support on complex issues of intersectional diversity;
- Hire trans and non-binary content executives, especially BIPOC, in leadership positions;
Employee Relations and Safety
- Recruit trans people, in particular BIPOC, for leadership roles in the company (Director, VP, etc.) and promote an inclusive environment for them;
- Allow employees to opt out of the company’s previous promotional content (for example, videos on alliances and diversity, etc.);
- Eliminate references / images of transphobic titles or talents inside the workplace including, but not limited to, murals, posters, room names, loot;
- Acknowledge the harm and responsibility of Netflix for this harm caused by transphobic content, and in particular the harm caused to the black trans community;
- Add a disclaimer before transphobic titles that specifically flag transphobes
language, misogyny, homophobia, hate speech, etc. as required ;
- Stimulate the promotion of disclosure and other trans-affirmative titles on the platform;
- Suggest trans-affirming content next to and after content marked as anti-trans.
We are employees, but we are also members. We believe that this company can and
do better in our quest to entertain the world, and that the way forward must
include more diverse voices to avoid causing more damage. ERG Trans *
looking forward to working with the company to make it a better, more entertaining
place for all of us.
Trans * Netflix
Netflix walkout rally featured officials like acting West Hollywood mayor Sepi Shyne, rally organizer Ashlee Marie Preston, Transparent Creator Joey soloway, and former student and activist of Drag Race David Huggard, alias Eureka.
“We are here not because we cannot accept a joke, but because we fear the jokes will take lives,” said Preston, apparently in response to the encroachment of counter-protesters with signs saying ” jokes are funny “and” don’t do it “. t cancel the comedy “.