Richard Pusey allegedly used grisly images for $1.5m insurance scam


After filming the horrific Eastern Freeway crash that killed four police officers, infamous Porsche driver Richard Pusey tried to use the photos to make a $1.5 million insurance claim, a court said.

Police allege Pusey, 44, distributed graphic images of the April 2020 crash – some of which showed the seriously injured officers – online in a Google review of a car dealership and for a complaint to the Australian Financial Complaints Authority.

The former mortgage broker, who identifies as non-binary, will represent himself throughout the hearing to fight the charges.

Pusey faced Sunshine Magistrates Court in Jail Greens on Tuesday after pleading not guilty to two charges of using a transportation service in an offensive manner and two charges of breaching their bail by allegedly re-offending .

Pusey was sentenced to 10 months in prison on April 28, 2021, after being found guilty of outrage against public decency by filming the deaths of four police officers. Pusey had been pulled over by police for speeding when a truck veered into the emergency lane and fatally hit the four officers.

Police allege Richard Pusey, 44, distributed graphic images of the April 2020 crash – some of which showed the seriously injured officers.
Michael Dodge/APA Image via AP

The court heard Pusey allegedly posted graphic images of officers online during two separate complaints about damage to their Porsche in the tragic Eastern Freeway collision.

In the submission to the AFCA, Pusey said they were unable to obtain insurance compensation for the damage to their car because “no one wants to own the claim”.

“A truck mowed down four road safety heroes… It broke a black Porsche and now those cs won’t pay,” they complained to the authority.

The court heard they sought $1.5 million in damages for the trauma of seeing the officers violently killed in the crash.

However, the senior AFCA official handling the claim, Harry Ganavas, told the court that the images attached to the claim were irrelevant and that Pusey’s description of the events left him “full of disgust. “.

“I felt repulsed and physically sick, actually, when I saw the photos,” he said.

Police prosecutor Anthony Albore told the court that one of the images submitted did not even show the damage to the Porsche.

The “inappropriate and disrespectful” allegation was dismissed.

The court heard that Pusey also posted a one-star Google review of Porsche Center Melbourne, in which they criticized the company’s insurance policy and level of customer service.

An investigating police officer told the court the 44-year-old used a graphic photo of one of the bloodied policemen on the roof of the Porsche for his Google profile picture.

The officer said she felt “angry and outraged” when she saw the horrifying image of the deadly tragedy.

After filming a collision that killed four police officers, Richard Pusey tried to use the photos to make an insurance claim for $1.5 million.
After filming a collision that killed four police officers, Richard Pusey tried to use the photos to make an insurance claim for $1.5 million.
EPA/SCOTT BARBOUR

Albore claimed that an Instagram account called “The Richard Pusey Show” contained a non-conflicting photo showing the damage to the Porsche, which they could have used for their complaints.

The prosecutor alleged that there were a number of personal details on the Instagram account that proved it was managed by Pusey.

The Porsche driver told the court the charge “told a story”.

The hearing continues Wednesday before magistrate Michelle Mykytowycz.

Previous Richard Pusey: Infamous Porsche driver allegedly used horror footage for $2.2m claim
Next Dark Brandon: Why White House officials are tweeting images of Joe Biden with laser eyes